Those F***ing Spaniards!

You don’t know me, but if you did, you would know that I don’t swear, much. And no, it’s not because I have delicate sensibilities, mother f***er. I do curse a bit, but I just prefer to save my profanity for specific moments so that I can really get the full effect of the s**t, f**k, mother f*****g **shole, etc.

So here’s my question, especially for all of you expats out there: Do you partake in the Spanish curse words? And for you Spanish readers: Doesn’t it sound a little strange hearing us guiris curse in Spanish?

In Spain, you come to find out quickly that cursing, and cursing often, is a strong part of the culture. It’s not like you don’t hear cursing in the states. There is a lot of cursing between friends, coworkers, etc. But am I wrong in thinking that its just so much worse here?I mean, even as an adult, I would never say “fuck, mom” to my mother. She would kill me, yet here you see kids saying, “joder, mama!” without a second thought.

For me personally, I just find it to be so very overdone and it’s still so grating to my ears after all these years.

I have American friends that manage to totally blend in with their Spanish-ish “coño!”‘s and “joder, macho!”‘s, but I always feel like no matter how fluent they are in the language, they always come off looking like imposters, and also kind of douchey.

But then again, swearing here is just a part of the culture, so shouldn’t I try to step it up a notch?

What do you think?

Should I add a couple of “coño!” to my conversations?
Should I shout out “gillipollas!” every time I see Zapatero on TV?
“Hijo de puta” works in every situation, right?

What type of expat are you: willing to do anything to fit in with your Spaniard friends or sticking to your proper American/English ways?

This entry was posted in LIFE IN MADRID and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Those F***ing Spaniards!

1. The effect it has on me is that I swear a lot more in English now than I ever did before. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m used to all the swearing in Spanish, or if I just feel the need to express myself more strongly in my own language…all I know is that I sound like a 20-year-old sailor these days. As for swearing in Spanish, I don’t swear much, but at the same time, the words don’t have as strong of a connotation as they do in English. So to me “coño” is more the equivalent of like “crap” or something in English – it just doesn’t pack the same punch, therefore I don’t find it as offensive or abrasive. But then again, I have a pretty dirty mouth, so what do I know?!

• Hamatha says:

Honestly, I think I’m just being a bit hypocritical –
      When I curse, it’s for a good reason, but when I hear other people cursing up a storm, I think, “how tacky”.

Maybe I should just start Spanish tourette syndrome-ing all over the place and just call it a day- Coño!

2. I absolutely love cussing like a madman in Spanish. I’m kind of amazed how versatile/boring some of them are. There’s no real equivalent of the C-bomb. The people are somewhat anesthetized to coño.

• Hamatha says:

Hi Will,
      Coño- You’re right!
      It’s just such a versatile word that seems to fit into every situation, good or bad.
      Still can’t bring myself to use it – and when I do, I giggle like Beavis and Butthead – “I said coño – he he”…

3. Pingback: My Spanish Adventure » Blog Archive Best of the Spanish Travel Blogs: November - My Spanish Adventure

4. Hamatha,

I’m kind of suprised you didn’t get much more of a response with this. Even though I’m back in the UK I find myself cursing in Spanish more than ever! I actually included this post on my round-up of best Spanish travel blog content for November over on my site. Come check it out and see who you made the grade with!

• Hamatha says:

Well, considering you and my mom are currently the only readers of Pass the Ham, I wasn’t too bummed by the lack of attention!
      I’m trying to dedicate myself to writing more and hopefully, new readers will soon be amazed by more literary gems similar to “Those F*** Spaniards” and “Have you met the Christmas Shitter?” lol!

But I do so appreciate your support, especially adding me to your round-up of best Spanish travel blogs. I’m really honored …thank you!
      When are you coming back to Spain?

5. Erik R. says:

I went through a period when I would say “¡Mierda!” when I dropped something, but I’ve recently retreated back to my native English for the true swearing about pain or frustration. I suppose a few “me cago en”‘s slip out in my Spanish, and when they do, they are without specific intent, so I assume they come out authentic.

This is probably true in all countries, but the best place I’ve found to learn/observe colorful swearing in Spanish is on the golf course. I empathize with people who live in those condos along the fairways who have to hear people wanting to shit on the Virgin Mary at 8:15 in the morning.

• Hamatha says:

Hi Erik!
      I think that you win the comment of the year award with “I empathize with people who live in those condos along the fairways who have to hear people wanting to shit on the Virgin Mary at 8:15 in the morning.” !

It is rather inappropriate so early, huh?

6. luis says:

This is another thing in which you can see the degeneration of this country, in the past people were not so rude, I don’t think that everything was much better, of course not, but people were more polite, it has happenned the same thing with the discipline, we have changed from one extreme to the opposite. People started to think unconsciously that politeness, discipline, etc, was related to Franco, so was bad, so we have to do the opposite. 50 years ago teachers punished phisically students and now they are afraid of them. Other thing related, is that spaniards usually want to be the most modern, and being polite is old-fashioned (¿?) .
    I’m sorry for the mistakes I’ve done.

• Hamatha says:

wow – thanks for this comment, Luis. You bring it to another level. What you’ve said about Franco hadn’t really crossed my mind before. But, in general, it’s not just Spain that has seen a “degeneration” of politeness – its basically universal. The good old fashion quality of manners doesn’t seem to be as strong as it used to be, but you still see very kind people. Maybe , like with me and cursing, we tend to notice the bad behavior more so than the good?

The other day, we were behind a car that broke down on a one lane street. Everyone was honking and screaming at this poor girl for a good minute or so. Then, two young kids about16 years old came by and offered to push her car. They pushed it for almost 5 minutes until she made it to a turn-of street. At that point, there were about 8 people pushing the car for her. I thought it was a nice display of human kindness.

Of course, I thought that while we were watching the whole thing from the comfort of our own warm car!

7. Alix Bond says:

I’ve lived in Spain for 12 years, well Ibiza and we’ve just moved to Madrid where my partner is from. In Ibiza people don’ t swear so much and my partner hardly at all…. Like you say when its really needed and it has more impact and I’m the same. I have been so shocked at the swearing here and that children swear too. I’m english and I don’t think I ever heard my parents swear. My son is 5 and he will go to school in Madrid in September and the truth is it terrifies me. He knows not to use swear words but it just feels worlds apart from the education I had as a girl.

• Hamatha says:

Hi Alix,

Thanks for your comment! It’s been a while since I wrote that post and I’m a little more used to it now. I think I’ve convinced myself that by using swear words so often and in any context they have lost their severity a bit. So when I hear a “*oder!”, in my mind, it’s now the equivalent of a simple “darn it!” or something similar. It’s helped me come to terms with it a bit more! ;)