Angry at Istanbul

At one point, most likely during one of those brazen moments that can only be the result of a delicate state of inebriation, I started to refer to myself as a “writer”. Yep, *hiccup* I’m a writer. Soy escritora.

Now, I’m not saying that I don’t make a living writing, but I, in my truest sober state, find it hard to even convince myself that I am any where near what a writer should be.

And my recent trip to Istanbul proved that, in spades. In fact, I’m kind of angry at Istanbul.

You see, as expected, my first trip to Istanbul took my breath away … and my words. It has basically left me speechless and I’m kind of frustrated about that. I’ve been sitting here for an hour trying to come up with something eloquent and brilliant that adequately describes the city, but appropriate words escape me. I simply can’t find anything to say. Is “majestic” right? Meh. “Glorious”, maybe? More meh. “Enchanting”? “Mystic”?

Meh, meh and bleh.

I think I’ll just have to say it’s “stunning plus”. That’s alright isn’t it? I mean, I never claimed to be Hemingway here you know? I’ve got stuff to do today. I just can’t be sitting around here trying to describe things to you. Just take a look at the damn photos, okay? Sheesh!

The Blue Mosque:

The Blue Mosque, Istanbul

The Blue Mosque, Istanbul
The Blue Mosque, Istanbul

Photos of the Blue Mosque, Istanbul
Photos of the Blue Mosque, Istanbul
Photos of the Blue Mosque, Istanbul

The Hagia Sophia:
The Hagia Sophia, Istanbul
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul
photos of the interior of the Hagia Sofia, Istanbul
photos of the interior of the Hagia Sofia, Istanbul
photos of the interior of the Hagia Sofia, Istanbul

So, obviously these two buildings are the most emblematic of Istanbul, but there is so much more to this city and so much more I want to show you. It’s one hell of a city. (That sentence also took me 10 minutes to come up with.)

I’ve got a ton of photos to post soon so stayed tune for more photos and of course, more Hamatha grumblings, okay?

Disclaimer: Actually, I’ve got a ton of blurry photos and a couple of not so bad ones to show you. Always the giver, Istanbul made me realize that, not only am I a wordless writer, but also a poor photographer. Thanks again, Istanbul.

This entry was posted in LIFE IN MADRID, TRAVELS and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Angry at Istanbul

1. Sam says:

Hey!

So, until recently I hadn’t really thought about going to Istanbul, I have never really had much of an interest in Turkey, but a few friends have had a similar reaction to you, so I’m thinking I should go someday?!

2. Terry says:

Istanbul tips:
    Don’t hotel in the Old City; hotel anywhere in Taksim.
    Buy an akbil (travel token for busses and trams and tube) and go on a bus over the Bosphorus, to any suburb shopping centre.
    Go to Rustem Pasa mosque.
    Go to Valide Han (and go up the stairs to the floors above where no tourist goes!)
    Go to Kariye museum.
    Leave your camera at home.

• Hamatha says:

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your comment and your advice. We saw a ton of things while we were there, but this is a great list for the next time I go back and I’m already planning a longer trip for springtime. Although, I have to say that I thought the Taksim area was way more touristy than the Old Town. We stayed in a great hotel in Sultanahmet just 300 meters from the Hagia Sophia, but the area was a bit hidden from the crowds and we loved it.

And yes, leave the camera at home is great advice. I try to do that as often as possible, but inevitably, something happens that makes me regret leaving it at home.

Thanks!

3. Scarlett says:

Haha I absolutely love this. Istanbul looks beautiful xx

• Hamatha says:

Hi Scarlett,
      Thanks for your comment! Istanbul is incredible…really, really, really beautiful. (You can tell my writing prose has still not recovered!:)

I was actually just now reading your blog for the first time. I love your writing!

4. Pingback: - Pass the Ham

5. Agness says:

Never been to Instanbul, but I love the photos of The Hagia Sophia, so lovely! This place would simply take my breath and… words as well :)